Thursday, April 12, 2012

3/30: Describe your relationship with your parents

First, I have to say that I got some very sweet notes from people about my last post. One on Facebook from a dear friend that I used to skate with and haven't talked to in a long time. She gave me some very great advise and action items for a girl who loves to plan from a girl who did as much planning as you can in the love/relationship area and is seeing the fruits of her labor. Thanks to all my readers for your nice comments!

Moving on, my relationship with these two:

On their wedding day: August 15, 1981

Celebrating their 30th wedding anniversary with a tour of Italy {2011}

Living it up at a fancy dinner in Scotland {2011}


My parents are awesome! Right now they are living the life of luxury in Scotland while my dad spends 2 years there for work.

When I was younger we moved around quite a bit and my parents may thing this was detrimental to us kids but I think that it was helpful in several ways. It taught be to be independent and be able to live on my own and mostly be ok with it. They taught me to go for the things I want, to work hard and EARN the things in life that are most important to you. They also taught me that the best things in life are worth waiting for, and if you work hard enough and take advantage of all the opportunities around you, you can get to exactly where you want to be.  Together they taught me what a marriage is really about.  You're not always going to get along perfectly, but you do always support the other as they strive to reach their dreams and goals.  A marriage is not something that you throw away because times are hard and working through it is even harder.

My dad taught me that you have to have a sense of humor when it relates to your faults and things you aren't perfect at, because let's face it, no one is perfect. He taught me that hard work is the only way to get what you want and to not expect other people to do things for you/take care of you. He taught me to be strong in my convictions and beliefs no matter what they might be, if you believe it stand up for it, and if you can't stand up and fight for it, ask yourself why. He also taught me that you have to ask what you deserve and if you are not being appreciated in your current role, its time to look for something else.

My mom taught me that if you want something you have to go for it and to not be afraid to push the boundaries. She taught me patience in the way that she and my dad have helped me through a rough transition from school to the "real world". She recognizes that I have a passion for something, and although it is not the exact path she would have written for me, she respects that I need to do something that I love. She taught me that love endures and can in fact win out, that somethings are worth fighting for and somethings you should just let go. Patience is not one of my virtues, she recognizes that and helps me to find ways to be patient. She taught me that family is the most important thing and sacrificing for your brothers {or sisters} is how we can all be successful.

I wouldn't be where I am now in any aspect of my life without the love and support of these two fantastic people.

0 comments: